XL, 2DS, New 3DS, etc

Lucario-Player

Re: XL, 2DS, New 3DS, etc

Post by Lucario-Player » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:17 am

kildon wrote:Trust me, if the quality were even remotely close, there wouldn't be many people left on this forum. From what I've heard it's about a 3 month lifespan, offered by someone who often loses devices sent to him and has essentially no warranty on work he does complete.
I think it's all about luck as I've heard some people have had problems and then others have not. (more people that are on this forum have done complaining than said their product is ok)

I will admit, that I got a VITA capture device last year and have used it for a "3 month period" with no problems with the video capture part, (then again I put mine in a carrying case and don't abuse it, just like my old black VITA I used to have) just the audio which is from my end since it requires the headphone jack way and my newer computer doesn't exactly have a microphone jack (and needed to use a USB addon to use a microphone jack to connect the VITA to)

Meanwhile, I did order a N3DS from Katsukity as well (a pre-assembled one) and currently I "expect" it around October (but people know that can change) and considering it's not an XL (as I do prefer the smaller size) and Loopy never has said if he was developing one for the smaller version and hasn't even given an update for months but does check the technical support and answer on there... (same could be said with katsukity on their "N3DS thread" though too) I decided since my VITA works perfectly fine I'd try the smaller version for Katsukity as far as a Japanese system goes since I haven't been one to purchase English games as of late due to NoA's decisions (in my personal opionion)

If Loopy had said he'd be trying to do the normal versions I may have waited, but since he only mentioned the XLs as of recent I figured katsukity will be the only way with that model right now.

==================================================

Now to go into my own thoughts if no one minds...

Again, considering there hasn't been an update in literally a few months now... I can be patient... especially when I commission people for certain things as I've been waiting a few months for some art I've ordered, but THEY have messaged me and have let me know if there has been trouble instead of going on without a single update...

Meanwhile a lot of people have been asking for just a simple update on this thread of whether there has been a problem or not with the current project... I'll even admit that I get kind of "paranoid" if I don't release a video after a few days (so much so, that I put out a blooper video a couple weeks ago for a Fire Emblem If chapter since Lunatic has been a pain and even released a video today on my "day off" since it had been a few days as well)

Lucky for me, my "regular viewers" don't mind and understand, so much that they say that I should take a break sometimes.

Just... a simple update is all people have been asking for and meanwhile I sit and lurk this thread for months without a simple confirmation on how it's coming along and it kinda seems a bit... worrisome... since Loopy has been replying to other threads on the technical support site.

Like someone said on another post, if he can post saying that progress has been going smoothly on the XL, great. If there has been a snag in the plans though, I'm pretty sure any news would be rather informative to some people than no news as all.

Heck, I'm not even interested in the XL devices and only semi-interested in the N3DS XL news since I may get one eventually but right now, just would rather have one for a N3DS standard size as I said, I prefer the smaller system (and the system IS bigger than the standard normal 3DS)

Not sure if I may get ridiculed or not but considering I've bought 2 capture devices from Loopy and will admit that they work fantastically (although my English one does need to be repaired and tried contacting him a few months ago about it but... ahhh... never got an invoice to send it and never followed up on it... probably big reason being that I just haven't played English games in months like I said...) but when there hasn't been an update of some kind in months, including not even selling any capture devices going on 5 months (half a year in a month I believe) ... I would be worried, and kinda worry for those that do want a capture device from Loopy :|

Xanek

Post by Xanek » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:28 am

Lucario-Player wrote:-snip-
What worries me is even the European distributor, Merki, hasn't really heard from Loopy for a while, and Merki's stock depends on Loopy.

I emailed Merki about week ago to see if they had anything in stock or plans for the New 3DS and got this as a response.
Hi <My Name>

I do not have any information about his production, Loopy does not tell his plans, even me I paid for the next delivery some months ago…

And I dont know when the next delivery will be :(

Kind regards

Stefan

Lucario-Player

Post by Lucario-Player » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:48 am

@Xanek

Sorry for the long response hahaha... I can get carried away with what I have to say in most my posts... D: (just like this one too probably)

And yeah, this is exactly what I mean, which now makes me worry more so for everyone else since even his european distributor is having no idea when the next shipment will be in, it just makes me wonder what is going on at Loopy's considering the last message he made on here was 5 days ago on the Tech Support forum and... even the tiniest update would probably relieve some stress from everyone.

And this is coming from someone that remembers people asking him almost every day "Is my package there yet?" which... there is him being asked "too much" and answering too much to subtract from his work, and then there is being asked and answering... "very little" as... if I were to commission someone and not be informed of the current status for 5 months without an update, I would not be happy. (heck, my mom ordered something for my sister as a commissioned work and it was suppose to arrive before her birthday... it's been over a week since and it hasn't come still... and she ordered it like 3 months before her birthday which ticked me off and it has nothing to do with me >.>)

I mean, I know it's not the same as ordering but... when people are wanting to order something, and being told "it should be done soon" and then 5 months have passed with no update and still waiting for "soon" to come... yeah... again I don't mean any hate by it, it's just an update of any kind would be nice honestly. (again, coming from someone not even interested in the XLs lol)

ALSO! as far as warranty for katsukity (saw that on the post before as well)... I don't exactly know how it works but, while on the website it says to declare the item $10 or less, the email I got from them says if you were going to send them your 3DS, you should declare it $100... which I would think you could put a tracking number on it as well if that was the case and keep update where it is at so that it should be less worry on you. (as things that are tracked usually do better I'd have to say compared to something with no tracking number whatsoever hahaha...)

... either way, $100 is better than $10 as even I was complaining about the $10 business lol... (I think it just hasn't been changed as they don't update their information on the site minus new products)

Plus I have seen them get stuff in the past ok... including someone being idiotic and sending them a 3DS in a 2 foot tall box, making katsukity having to pay extra for the import hahaha.....

ShadowMario3

Post by ShadowMario3 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:49 am

I personally don't mind the wait on info from Loopy about the New 3DS XL capture board, especially since I'm in no rush to get one. There are only two games games (Xenoblade and Binding of Issac) that can only be played on the New 3DS. If there was a Mario/Pokemon/Zelda game that was only on the N3DS, then I would see a reason to get it. IIRC, the 3DS Amiibo NFC reader will be available in September too, which is not too far away.

Also, the homebrew scene has been amazing to the point where Ninjhax 2.0 works with no issue on the latest 3DS firmware, allowing you to play region free games (which is how I'm planning to record Fire Emblem If (retail copy of course) if the US release is too far into next year).

I do feel for the people who want to get the normal 3DS capture cards though. As Lucario said, would be nice of Loopy to offer an update as to when those will be available, especially if people are having issues with Katsukity's boards.

Lucario-Player

Post by Lucario-Player » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:51 am

ShadowMario3 wrote:Snip
(Snipped so my post doesn't look too big lol...)

Actually, the main reason I kinda "needed" to get the N3DS for my Japanese games is because, before everyone knew the functionality of "transferring your saves" into the N3DS, I did so and... was in for a rude awakening that all my games that were saved on my Japanese account were stuck being only available on the N3DS after the fact.

... so it was either "start anew on another account and juggle 2 Japanese accounts" or... for the time being, purchase the games physically (which I actually have been liking to get physical Japanese games over downloads and probably will only use downloads for BIG titles from now on) and play between my N3DS and my Normal Standard 3DS...

Otherwise... Xenoblades, not too interested to play (especially in Japanese for the time being hahaha...) and then Binding of Isaac isn't even available in Japanese (dammit Edmund, I'd have bought it in Japanese if you released it over there too D=<)

besides... after playing on my N3DS for so long, the current faceplate I have on it makes it more comfortable to handle compared to handling "glossy" or even a "matte" system, as I have the Kyogre Edition faceplate and...

... I'll just say, it's worth playing the N3DS just to hold on to something that doesn't leave sweaty fingerprints all over >.> lol (faceplate is made out of a fuzzy material... either suede or felt, again, VERY comfortable to handle)

And before anyone asks, I did ask Katsukity if the I could switch out both faceplates and as stated in the email...
katsukity email wrote:If you would like to order the capture kit including a new 3DS and you will switch the faceplates to the one you already own, please order from here"
(and no, I'm not going to be selling the Japanese system with Loopy's capture device in it, I like having a backup for just in case purposes)

But moving off of my ordeals of why I was looking into the N3DS and on to the actual topic of an update...

I will say that yeah, some type of an update would be beneficial (since 5'ish months without one is more than enough time to have an update be stated) and probably would cause less worries for some, especially since Xanek's comment about how Merki doesn't even have an update from Loopy as well and they are technically business partners .___."

MopyDream44

Post by MopyDream44 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:51 pm

I understand that there are a lot of people who are interested in purchasing a Loopy device. In fact, I was hoping to upgrade to a New 3DS Loopy device myself, so I know how hard it can be to wait for something you really want. I have seen many comments about competitors, which at times, feel like a passive aggressive attempts to elicit a reply from loopy. I'm not trying to be rude or call anyone out, I'm just giving my opinion on how it appears. I have also seen many comments from people that indicate to have given up. Again, these types of comments seem to be another attempt to elicit a response from Loopy.

Here's what I would like people to consider. Loopy said that he is working New 3DS systems, and he hasn't given us any indication that he has stopped. Honestly, if he had decided to stop production completely don't you believe he would tell us? What reason would he have to hold that information from us? So, unless he explicitly announces he will no longer be selling devices we can all assume that he's still working on it. So there you go, the question is answered, but it's still not good enough is it?

Many people have said that all they want is an update from Loopy that he's still working on things, but what people really want (deep down) is an ETA for when devices can be purchased. People are already freaking out because he gave a super general ETA, so what motivation does he have to pop on and say "hey I'm still working on things" when that response will only cause people to spam the threads with ETA requests. Like honestly think about it, Loopy pops on today and tells everyone he is still working on the devices, which we can already logically assume is true. Can any of you honestly sit there and say you would be 100% satisfied with that response? Of course you wouldn't because everyone wants to weigh their options between waiting X amount of time for a Loopy device or going with a competitor that doesn't seem to have the same quality by reputation.

If you really and desperately need a capture device right now, then there's your answer. Find another place to purchase what you need. Just know there is going to be a wait no matter who you decide to go with, so perhaps it would be best to just be patient. Loopy will let us know when we can expect the devices to be ready, once he knows that information himself. If everyone feels the need to discuss competitors, maybe it would be best to discuss them on forums dedicated to that competitor.

Also, how is Loopy being active on the technical forum a sign that he will no longer produce capture devices? :roll: He is still here and helping people when they need it, yet that's somehow a bad thing? I think the heat may be getting to everyone ;)

Lucario-Player

Post by Lucario-Player » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:27 pm

TL;DR at bottom of post (as this post was a rant somewhat too)
MopyDream44 wrote:clip
If it was me that you were referring to in the post... I was not trying to side with katsukity so much as I've been having some difficult communications with them too. Also considering he boosted the wait to 4 months... yet, I have a friend going to Japan that is interested in helping me in getting my New 3DS from them and that they literally go from a 4 month wait to a "Please let me know when you would like to pick up your capture kit, so we will make a reservation." (word for word from the email) that kinda also leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as well.

As I've said, I've purchased not just 1 capture device, but 2 from loopy in the past (the first one being from when he first put up this website... which was 3 years ago next month) and I've always said that loopy's capture devices are better than katsukity's (no DRM, record via program it uses... although I always use XSplit so...) and I've been one of the people that have always hated the fact that people before the audio was via USB, people complained for a year and a half about putting it through USB when, of course he wouldn't have time for that as he kept taking orders and never had the time to really finish that project until a year and a half after doing orders for the capture device.

As for this comment...
MopyDream44 wrote:how is Loopy being active on the technical forum a sign that he will no longer produce capture devices? :roll: He is still here and helping people when they need it, yet that's somehow a bad thing? I think the heat may be getting to everyone ;)
Considering he has been on that forum several times now, once even yesterday as well as the controller mod as he appears on both boards through looking at the main index of all the boards as of typing this out, it's not so much of a sign that he is no longer going to produce capture devices, so much as that since it's already been so long since he's updated, that people may get this idea in their head.

As I've already stated, I've gotten a New 3DS capture device ordered from the competitor as it sounded to me personally, that loopy wasn't going to try and make a capture device for the standard size New 3DS, so I figured there was nothing to lose. (After all, they never released it here and there has only been a hint that it "may" come to NA... which I still hope it does for other fans... as they could pull an out of the blue Winter release like they did with the 2DS)

But, I just lurk on these boards checking on progress of how it comes now and then and to hear hate saying that Katsukity's boards suck, when I've gotten a VITA board from him that works great and as "Scott2015" said in one of the the stickied threads on this board, he's had a board from him and it never died. The only people that speak out most the time, are those that have bad things that happened to them, this goes for reviews for places and a lot of products as well, since I'm pretty sure if anyone experienced a bad time at like... a restaurant or had a bad experience with a product, they'd review it horribly as a way of "revenge" you could say, while probably half the people that buy a product or go somewhere and experienced good things, they don't usually feel the need to review and give a good grade.

Could be said with likes on Youtube as well, people don't like as much on not as popular channels, as say... "haters" that troll your channel. (heck I remember having some people now and then a while back going through all my videos just to leave "1" dislike per video... I don't think you will see that happen as much for people that enjoy your videos hahaha...)

I got off on a tangent there...

Either way though, I usually try to give people heads up on my channel if it may be a bit for a video going up or give them other news for something else. (as I also give a monthly update to give thoughts on what I have to say as well as what is going on in my life)

Meanwhile, loopy has been on these forums several times in the past few months of getting stuff done... and has yet to give any sort of update which... I know he can take a while on some stuff (as well as most people know this too) but... unlike before where he had capture devices that he had to make for others as well... he hasn't really had any other projects that have needed to be done on here either besides fixing people's capture devices he's already sold.

... which actually makes me wonder if he ran into some problems along the way and it'd be nice to even have that kind of an update so that everyone wasn't left in the dark thinking it could be done any month now.

katsukity isn't off the hook either as, they keep taking in orders, so many that it's going to currently take 4 months for them to complete the orders... and that may only increase as they will still take orders and never "close" orders to give them time to complete said order, where they will go so far as to charge a $150 fee to bring you "up next" in line and have them special deliver it within a week or 2 instead of waiting months... which is a rather bad business structure as well. (especially considering that Paypal will not back you up if the order takes too long to get done so... you not only will have no way of getting your money back, but you will also have to wait however long it will take for them to get it done... which the time may increase if more and more people go ahead and pay the outrageous $150 "skip everyone" option :|

(I'd actually give loopy a bit of a break here since he'd never do something like this, as katsukity has more than one person working here and should know better business etiquette)

Otherwise, from my experience both do answer their emails... well... katsukity does, while loopy usually will answer his forum messages (although like ALL businesses, people should wait at least 72 hours before trying to write again as they may not be the only ones trying to get a hold of said business)

....... and that's my two cents, just the post above kinda aggravated me as I have seen things happen with "hacks" for games or other things where people wait... and wait... and wait... and... then finally after a great length of time passes, the author of said thing says "nevermind, cancelled" with a bunch of disappointment to be seen later. (heck, flipnote studio 3D was in that situation for a LOOOOONG time, so much that people already thought it was cancelled for good)

So, an update whether it is "problems with life have occured" or some other thing would be beneficial for a lot of different people, more so than me... I'm just here to see what's the scoop.

TL;DR

An update would be nice whether it is good or bad news considering he's been on the board several times, and is even on the front page twice as the latest post in Tech Support and Controller Mod. (as of typing this)

Katsukity meanwhile has just as many cons (if not much worse) than loopy as far as customer service due to the fact they keep taking orders, making it 4 months as of the post for a wait... meanwhile go to Japan and they will have it ready that same day... that or order "priority" for an extra $150... (something the people that go to Japan obviously don't have to pay for)

Lucario-Player

Post by Lucario-Player » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:53 am

MopyDream44 wrote:Clip
Sorry if I came off as rude too then as... it does get a bit out of hand when people start throwing out that "katsukity products are worse" when, while I do agree about how the DRM thing shouldn't be on there... unless they have actually had experience with said product, (which I have as well as a few others on the forum I know since I recognize a few names from the forums on their website) then no one has the right to actually go on here and mudsling about katsukity. I know they've made some screw ups in the past (which, I would be ticked too if I was loopy and katsukity pretty much says "every other capture device is not real" kind of comment) but as far as the VITA I have, I haven't seen any big problems with it when I've played and recorded with it personally.

^ That probably will be all I will say as far as katsukity goes since people brought katsukity into this discussion. However, I think it's clear that this IS loopy's forum and whether it is talk about how bad OR good their product is, it shouldn't be discussed here at all. (heck, loopy even made it clear as a sticky thread in one of the forums he is NOT a katsukity repair service)

As for the update... yeah I do understand that he should be given time but... almost going on half a year still without some kind of an update whether he ran into difficulties or some other problem and just leaving people hanging... then another 6 months may pass with still no update, only repairs from other forums... as I said, I'm not interested in anything XL and already have capture devices for both an English and Japanese 3DS from him, but considering he probably checks this topic and doesn't ;eave a simple "still working on it" response let alone some problems have occured. (heck on my channel, if some real life instances occur I let everyone else know considering... I won't go into it here but haven't been able to record as much as of late due to some personal reasons and I let everyone on my channel know that so they don't go into "why has there been less videos lately" mode)

Either way, whether loopy has his reasons for not giving some update is fine by me as again, I'm not interested in the actual product for right now... I'm just worried that people may be waiting... and waiting...... and waiting............

... until next March, which would mark a year since loopy started his break from MAKING ALL capture devices... and that will make me wonder how many people will still wait, if it may take another year before he responds after that...

... not saying that will happen (I don't know anything, that's just a worst case scenario) and I've always had links to 3dscapture.com on my video descriptions due to the fact when I first started using it, I would ALWAYS get asked "how are you playing the 3DS on video? Is it an emulator?" and... pretty much would point at the description there. However with how much updating this has gone through, I might as well take it off considering he hasn't made any capture devices in half a year.

Either way... while you may not think an update is necessary... coming from someone that has been using his capture device for almost 3 years now, I gotta say it kinda is necessary to at least give a reason why something that "will probably take a month if I don't do any orders" has taken 6 months with no updates...

... actually looking for the quote, it's actually been closer to 8 months since he's taken a break from making boards (even though I could swear he sold some back in March I thought?) because he literally says this dated January 20th this year.
loopy wrote:I don't have an ETA yet on when I'll have more, but don't expect them for at least a month or two. I'm taking time off from doing installations so I can work on other things (mainly XL and New 3DS boards).
So... it's actually been closer to 2/3 of a year... so getting closer to the year point actually and...

It's just kinda worrisome. (worrying that I shouldn't even be having considering it's not exactly my problem, more so everyone that wants a board from loopy that has said problem)

I'll not reply to this thread for a while myself as... I've said all I really need to say. However, I will be watching now and again to see if loopy does actually fill everyone in on what has happened over the past several months or just starts up orders again.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:32 pm

I'm sorry, I haven't followed these threads in a while. It's always the same questions and the same answers so I kind of tuned them out.

I know it's taken forever. Life happens, plans and priorities change. I was doing capture stuff full time before, but that hasn't been the case for a while. The last few months, I've been working another full time job to help a friend with his business. Obviously this has slowed me down. (This has other benefits though; I've gained connections for manufacturing and labor that will be useful...).

I've been working on N3DSXL a lot recently and have a schedule for release. I don't feel compelled to make announcements about it and give out dates because these things always change. I'll do a smaller run of "regular" boards in the meantime but the majority of them will go to Merki (tecd0c)

desocietas

Post by desocietas » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:10 pm

loopy wrote:I'm sorry, I haven't followed these threads in a while. It's always the same questions and the same answers so I kind of tuned them out.

I know it's taken forever. Life happens, plans and priorities change. I was doing capture stuff full time before, but that hasn't been the case for a while. The last few months, I've been working another full time job to help a friend with his business. Obviously this has slowed me down. (This has other benefits though; I've gained connections for manufacturing and labor that will be useful...).

I've been working on N3DSXL a lot recently and have a schedule for release. I don't feel compelled to make announcements about it and give out dates because these things always change. I'll do a smaller run of "regular" boards in the meantime but the majority of them will go to Merki (tecd0c)

Thanks for the update, Loopy :) Life, indeed, happens. I'm glad to hear you've been working on the N3DSXL! Definitely looking forward to future announcements and still looking forward to sending in my console when you're ready.