CuteCapture - Capture Software for Linux and Mac

Chroma

Re: CuteCapture - Capture Software for Linux and Mac

Post by Chroma » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:45 am

Spitford wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:31 am
Hey,
Just popped in here to let everyone know I’ve had some promising results on the audio over usb front. I’m kinda new to C++ so it’s going to take a bit for me to get anything working properly, but I’ve got an ok sounding stream of audio coming over usb on my Mac!
I forgot to ask this, but is this currently forked on GitHub for progress/feedback/support/test builds?

Spitford

Post by Spitford » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:47 pm

Hey!
I haven't had much time to get past where I was, but the fork is here:

https://github.com/spitford/CuteCapture ... dioSupport

I got it to play audio with minimal glitching through the ffplay program, but I'm not sure how to get the app to play the audio since the stream is not in the correct format for SFML to use. So I'm a bit stuck myself.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:55 am

Spitford wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:47 pm
Hey!
I haven't had much time to get past where I was, but the fork is here:

https://github.com/spitford/CuteCapture ... dioSupport

I got it to play audio with minimal glitching through the ffplay program, but I'm not sure how to get the app to play the audio since the stream is not in the correct format for SFML to use. So I'm a bit stuck myself.
Appreciate it! Even the fact that someone is looking into this is progress imo, my poor 3DS has been sitting here getting no stream usage ever since I got the mod done years ago. Things like this make me hopeful of using it and even getting whatever upcoming n3DS mod becomes available.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:41 pm

I wanted to pose this question as well on the same topic:

Using a similar capture situation limited to Windows, the GV-USB2 a capture device widely used by retro speedrunners to capture their older RCA/S-Video consoles. However, the recommended capture app is not well supported, and people end up using the GV-USB2 as a video capture source on the OBS software. OBS is primarily used by streamers to livestream to Twitch and YouTube, but it has the bonus of also having full recording support.

My question is: if you had to look into developing something for Mac anyways, what do you think about looking into a driver that would make the 3DS capture card(s) recognizable in OBS? This would have several benefits from how I see it:

1. It can be primarily developed on and for a Windows machine. From the devs I've talked with on GitHub, OBS on both Windows and Mac use a similar plugin language, so it could be fully developed on Windows first and tweaked slightly for Mac compatibility. That way, all users benefit.

2. Uses less resources. Without having to have a second app open to capture, the driver could still be fully accredited to a developer but run within OBS's own window. It also has its own built in drivers for external devices, so as Windows keeps updating, as long as it doesn't inherently break something about the plugin, it should continue to work without requiring separate driver updates specifically for an external app.

3. OBS is already open source with a large and active development team. Instead of a small handful of devs getting flooded with requests to fix an issue for a single external program, issues could be reported to OBS's GItHub page, where developers are actively providing support and patching for future releases. Again, unless something is inherently broken specifically about the plugin and not OBS's dependencies on it, this would remove the need for you to spend time on troubleshooting.

Just wanted to get your opinion on this. I currently have a couple apps like LiveSplit that are Windows only, but the dev years ago created a compatible plugin for OBS. With that, I can run the app within OBS on Mac without the need for the .exe file. Minus a few people requesting some new features to the plugin like a properties interface, there's almost no issue reporting of bugs on the GitHub, many of them are going to the OBS GitHub directly and getting help if needed.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:06 am

I'm not too familiar with OBS but if you can point me to templates / sample code for these plugins I'll take a look at it.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:57 pm

Thanks, the best example I can think of is the LiveSplit plugin I mentioned in the last post. The plugin has a GitHub here: https://github.com/CryZe/obs-livesplit-one

The GitHub should have the code for the plugin for all platforms. If needed, here is another popular plugin for music playback data within OBS called Tuna: https://github.com/univrsal/tuna

thomasfan1945

Post by thomasfan1945 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:12 am

Excuse me, but is there a Windows version available and would it be possible to record both 3DS and DS captures all at once side by side?

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:09 am

thomasfan1945 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:12 am
Excuse me, but is there a Windows version available and would it be possible to record both 3DS and DS captures all at once side by side?
If you're on Windows, I don't see any reason not to just use loopy's solid software. iirc if you right-click on the capture window on the software, you can reorganize the screens to be side-by-side instead of stacked vertically.

As for recording 3DS and DS captures together...I'm not sure what you're asking. Your capture card will capture what your 3DS is currently playing, so you definitely can't play/capture a 3DS and DS game at the same time unless you have two 3DS capture cards on 2 separate consoles.

thomasfan1945

Post by thomasfan1945 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:55 am

Recording both 3DS and DS in realtime. OBS is best for this I'd assume.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:14 am

Again, not really sure how you can play 3DS and DS at the same time, your 3DS only plays one game at a time. Are you using two 3DS handhelds at the same time playing two games? Are you talking about one 3DS capture and a DS emulator maybe, or are you trying to record your 3DS feed and someone else's DS feed over something like Discord?

Will need more details. As is, I'll say again that you can't capture both 3DS and DS at the same time, your 3DS can't even play that.