Wii U Capture Kit?

kardus

Wii U Capture Kit?

Post by kardus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:39 am

Seems like katsukity is offering a new capture install service for Wii U's now. This obviously isn't very economical since it costs ~$240 plus you have to send your Wii U in (they don't ship out kits), and for that price you can probably buy one of the best consumer HDMI capture cards on the market.

However, unless it's a mistake on their website from copying/pasting, they seem to be using the exact same USB capture modules that are used for the 3DS capturing? Does anyone know if the Wii U actually has any pinouts for installing something like this or are they just using some kind of HDMI capture board with passthrough that they just stuff in the console?

It would be neat if there was a budget solution for something such as the Wii U (<$100) if someone didn't want to invest in an expensive capture card, but unless there's already a solution out there by the time it's accessible it won't really have any demand.

kardus

Re: Wii U Capture Kit?

Post by kardus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:47 am

OK, I see what's going on. It seems like it isn't installed in the Wii U console itself but in the gamepad /w screen. Makes more sense.

There are some games that can't be displayed on the gamepad, but most work. Name of the board is the ' Cameron [Cameleon???] USB FX SPA3', is it possible to get these from a 3rd party source?

Would one of loopy's boards for 3ds/3dsxl work with this out of the box? I assume it is of similar design.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:52 am

Yes, it's for the WiiU gamepad. And yes, they use basically the same hardware that's in the 3DS capture boards. I never really pursued it because it didn't seem like something there would be much demand for. Most of the time, it's the main game screen you'd want to capture, which you can buy a standard HDMI capture card for.

kardus

Post by kardus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 am

loopy wrote:Yes, it's for the WiiU gamepad. And yes, they use basically the same hardware that's in the 3DS capture boards. I never really pursued it because it didn't seem like something there would be much demand for. Most of the time, it's the main game screen you'd want to capture, which you can buy a standard HDMI capture card for.
Almost every game supports playing the whole thing on the screen by itself now (minus a few of the earlier games), I wonder if it would be worth offering the boards for people who wanted to DIY install instead of you installing it, since that would probably be too much of a pain. Probably not worth it if the board itself couldn't be <$100 w/o installation, though.

On a similar note what about using your controller board idea the Wii U gamepad? Would it require any major modification? Maybe not much demand for it now but apparently the Wii U homebrew scene will be blowing up soon with exploits/homebrew coming out, no doubt people might like using it for emulators and such. Would be nice if the currentl controller board could be used as-is but I'm going to assume that's not the case? :(

tytygh

Post by tytygh » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:17 am

loopy wrote:Yes, it's for the WiiU gamepad. And yes, they use basically the same hardware that's in the 3DS capture boards. I never really pursued it because it didn't seem like something there would be much demand for. Most of the time, it's the main game screen you'd want to capture, which you can buy a standard HDMI capture card for.
I think you should produce a capture board for it. Miyamoto has stated they'll be doing unique things with the GamePad for Star Fox U, Zelda U and Splatoon show a map of the area on the Pad, and Mario Party 10 has some different viewpoints of the minigames on the GamePad.
Nintendo Forever

omegazeroINFI

Post by omegazeroINFI » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:51 pm

id have to agree with the guy above me, the ability to capture the gamepad would be a nice touch to the videos. either way, i can at least say that this can wait since the 3ds boards are a bit more important.

tytygh

Post by tytygh » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 pm

omegazeroINFI wrote:id have to agree with the guy above me
:D
Nintendo Forever