Stereoscopic 3D capture

Blaumagier

Stereoscopic 3D capture

Post by Blaumagier » Sat May 16, 2015 12:32 am

With a combination of the New 3DS being out and YouTube having several options available for 3D video, I feel like there may be an increased interest in stereoscopic 3DS videos on the horizon. I'm certainly interested. I know in the past loopy expressed that there was really no interest so it was dropped and I think a lot of the reason why there was no interest is because many people were like me - without a 3D monitor or television to actually view S3D videos with. The N3DS not only changes that for me, but I would assume it also changes it for a very large audience, at least on the YouTube side of things, with the browser having HTML5. Is there any chance that work into stereoscopic 3D may be picked back up? I've been playing around with a Virtual Boy emulator and using my N3DS to view the videos in 3D and it works very nicely and now I'm super curious how it fares with 3DS games.

Re: Stereoscopic 3D capture

Post by Guest » Tue May 19, 2015 2:55 am

I think the reason the Stereoscopic 3D Capture was ignored by most people who record is because of how much time it takes to record, edit and render videos. IF you record in 3d, edit it, and upload it. Anyone who doesnt support the 3d feature would not be able to enjoy the content. ( I could be wrong. ) Knowing how long it takes me, I could not see myself recording the lp again later for 3d.

Blaumagier

Post by Blaumagier » Tue May 19, 2015 6:11 am

You are both right and wrong. Wrong in the sense that you CAN disable 3D on 3D videos on YouTube and have them display like normal (I won't pretend to know exactly how it chooses to display it, be it only one side of a side by side, merging them, or what-have-you).

You are right, however, in the sense that YouTube has yet to get the 3D options menu functional on their new HTML5 player. What this means is that if you want to view 3D videos in 2D and aren't on a New 3DS's browser where the 3D option menu IS functional, then you would have to either watch on a device that automatically disables 3D (my Xbox One does this on the YouTube app), use a work around (such as a different player or special addresses to load YouTube's Flash player which does have a functional 3D menu), or what is likely the more prevalent option to the masses and either watch it blurred/squished side by side or wait for YouTube to add the 3D menu to their HTML5 player.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Tue May 19, 2015 1:50 pm

I did pick up an Oculus Rift a while ago to experiment with, I suppose it's about time I look into it again.

VideogameScrapbook

Post by VideogameScrapbook » Fri May 22, 2015 5:48 pm

loopy wrote:I did pick up an Oculus Rift a while ago to experiment with, I suppose it's about time I look into it again.
I've really enjoyed the beta you released that supported the 'stretched' SBS 3d format, which has allowed my friends and I to enjoy 3DS games together on my 3D projector. I'm excited by the possibility of seeing that feature combined with USB audio at some point. :D