3DS Capture Board with R Button problem.

latinlingo

3DS Capture Board with R Button problem.

Post by latinlingo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi

Earlier this year, I sent my 3DS to Loopy in order to have a Capture Board installed on it. To this day, the board is working flawlessly. However, 3 days ago, the R Button of this very same 3DS stopped responding properly. When you press it, the game/console simply does not react to it. I've read online on a few different solutions to this problem, such as:

A) using a dry (unused) toothbrush to scrape around the R Button.
B) using a pressurized air can within the small openings of the R Button.
C) blowing air (with mouth) within small openings of button.
D) following the instructions of this youtube video to replace the R Button with a new one myself.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9OcA3u4qRA

My question is, is it wise to try ANY of these solutions on a 3DS with a Capture Board installed on it?

I have absolutely no knowledge on how sensitive/complex the Capture Board possibly is. The last thing I want to do is ruin the excellent Capture Board while trying to fix the R Button.

I'm hoping Loopy could provide his personal opinion on the matter, however any help/advice from fellow users will also be appreciated as well :)

Thank you for your time.

Laplacier

Re: 3DS Capture Board with R Button problem.

Post by Laplacier » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:35 pm

The button probably got disconnected from the board. The 3DS needs to be opened and all you would need to do is push it back in until it snaps.

latinlingo

Post by latinlingo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:18 pm

Laplacier wrote:The button probably got disconnected from the board. The 3DS needs to be opened and all you would need to do is push it back in until it snaps.
Could be. However, I've recently used my 3DS and I can confirm that sometimes, the R button works. Half the time, I either need to press REALLY, REALLY hard on the button to make it work, or the button just randomly decides when it wants to work.

Because of this, it could be that there's a particle of dust in between the button itself and... whatever is under it that blocking the input or something. In your opinion though, if I were to open the 3DS myself, I could easily reach the R button without having to remove or get around the Capture Board itself?

Again, any help/advice will be appreciated.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:32 pm

The button might need to be replaced. You'll need to disconnect the capture board, it isn't too difficult to work with. There's a small latch on its cable connector that needs to be lifted up.

latinlingo

Post by latinlingo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:57 pm

loopy wrote:The button might need to be replaced. You'll need to disconnect the capture board, it isn't too difficult to work with. There's a small latch on its cable connector that needs to be lifted up.
This is gonna be nerve wrecking. If nothing else works, I'll definitely open up the 3DS.

Btw Loopy, is using a pressurized air can harmful to the Capture Board? I have a can sitting in my home and was thinking about using it on the R Button before finally going out to purchase the tools needed to open up my console.

Thank you for your help.