Possible Wii U Gamepad Capture Card?

shibatamiyawata

Re: Possible Wii U Gamepad Capture Card?

Post by shibatamiyawata » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:09 pm

I really really should of posted this a lot sooner, I don't know how I forgot.

I found and contacted the guy who made that one YouTube video that showed the GamePad's video stream being replicated over WiFi / Bluetooth / Whatever it was. I asked if he was making software that allowed wireless GamePad capture, as of late June he had this to say: "we don't currently have a good way to record gamepad A/V, packet loss just kills the video stream - custom fw might help"

Someone else asked him the same question yesterday, he gave the same answer.

So can anyone confirm if Loopy is working on a GamePad Capture Board? I know he has a lot on, namely the 3DS XL, 3D Capture, Audio over USB, and just installations installations installations as the LPing community gears up for Pokémon X & Y, I just want to know it it's coming eventually.

Minimit

Post by Minimit » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:17 pm

shibatamiyawata wrote:
So can anyone confirm if Loopy is working on a GamePad Capture Board? I know he has a lot on, namely the 3DS XL, 3D Capture, Audio over USB, and just installations installations installations as the LPing community gears up for Pokémon X & Y, I just want to know it it's coming eventually.
All that loopy has said about the Wii U GamePad capture board is that he bought a Wii U and said it is possible to do similarly to the pass through method that the 3DS works off of. He may start working on it when he has enough help with 3DS orders so that he can take the time to work on these other endeavors.

Deleted User 2340

Post by Deleted User 2340 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:56 pm

shibatamiyawata wrote:I really really should of posted this a lot sooner, I don't know how I forgot.

I found and contacted the guy who made that one YouTube video that showed the GamePad's video stream being replicated over WiFi / Bluetooth / Whatever it was. I asked if he was making software that allowed wireless GamePad capture, as of late June he had this to say: "we don't currently have a good way to record gamepad A/V, packet loss just kills the video stream - custom fw might help"

Please for the love of god, don't mention the Pokemon side of the LP'ing community, it makes me sick. Also, what purpose would there be for a Gamepad Capture Board, because can't you just use a normal capture card for the Wii U itself? (No offense)

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of doing a HDMI-out board for PSVita and/or WiiU. They would be nearly identical. Could possibly use the same board for both.

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 pm

MithrilMonarch, I was actually aiming on Wii U games that don't use the GamePad at all (as in, GamePad being off, displaying nothing, void, etc.).

shibatamiyawata

Post by shibatamiyawata » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Dylanrockin wrote:Please for the love of god, don't mention the Pokemon side of the LP'ing community, it makes me sick. Also, what purpose would there be for a Gamepad Capture Board, because can't you just use a normal capture card for the Wii U itself? (No offense)
(I do actually.)

Let's just establish something, I'm not a big Pokémon LPer myself, but if they still pay the same good money as me to buy Loopy's products I don't see why I should discriminate them publicly.

As for your argument about GamePad Capture having no purpose... For example, 'Gamer' in Game & Wario. TV only shows if the mother is coming, the GamePad shows all the actual gameplay. The GamePad usually has a different image to the TV and this is increasingly becoming more important and thus a necessity include in videos (would you rather just see the empty room with the mother walking past the window, or the actual minigames being played?). Another example would be multiplayer, in this instance 'Metroid Blast' in Nintendo Land; the TV shows the Wii Remote Plus players (1-4 of them), but not the GamePad image (who is flying around the map independently and often difficult to even see from the other players perspectives). There is a lot of purpose for GamePad capture.
Last edited by shibatamiyawata on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shibatamiyawata

Post by shibatamiyawata » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 pm

loopy wrote:Actually, I've been toying with the idea of doing a HDMI-out board for PSVita and/or WiiU. They would be nearly identical. Could possibly use the same board for both.
If I may make a suggestion, with the PS Vita capture board already being available from another site, you should work on the GamePad first due to the lack of any competition. Having said that, I'd still love to see a Vita board from you, I wouldn't want to buy it elsewhere as I already trust your production standards.

Deleted User 2340

Post by Deleted User 2340 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:46 pm

shibatamiyawata wrote:
Dylanrockin wrote:Please for the love of god, don't mention the Pokemon side of the LP'ing community, it makes me sick. Also, what purpose would there be for a Gamepad Capture Board, because can't you just use a normal capture card for the Wii U itself? (No offense)
(I do actually.)

Let's just establish something, I'm not a big Pokémon LPer myself, but if they still pay the same good money as me to buy Loopy's products I don't see why I should discriminate them publicly.

As for your argument about GamePad Capture having no purpose... For example, 'Gamer' in Game & Wario. TV only shows if the mother is coming, the GamePad shows all the actual gameplay. The GamePad usually has a different image to the TV and this is increasingly becoming more important and thus a necessity include in videos (would you rather just see the empty room with the mother walking past the window, or the actual minigames being played?). Another example would be multiplayer, in this instance 'Metroid Blast' in Nintendo Land; the TV shows the Wii Remote Plus players (1-4 of them), but not the GamePad image (who is flying around the map independently and often difficult to even see from the other players perspectives). There is a lot of purpose for GamePad capture.
Tis a fair argument. But, I myself personally do not like to hear about them, its something very very personal in regards to them. And again, about the Gamepad, at least now I know that there is a good reason for it, I guess it has something to do with me not owning a Wii U :P. But, in all seriousness, I apologize for my misbehavior, and coming off as quite rash.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 pm

shibatamiyawata wrote:I found and contacted the guy who made that one YouTube video that showed the GamePad's video stream being replicated over WiFi / Bluetooth / Whatever it was. I asked if he was making software that allowed wireless GamePad capture, as of late June he had this to say: "we don't currently have a good way to record gamepad A/V, packet loss just kills the video stream - custom fw might help"

Shucks. That shoots down another idea I had, using a smartphone to mimic a WiiU gamepad. :)

shibatamiyawata

Post by shibatamiyawata » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Dylanrockin wrote:
shibatamiyawata wrote:
(I do actually.)

Tis a fair argument. But, I myself personally do not like to hear about them, its something very very personal in regards to them. And again, about the Gamepad, at least now I know that there is a good reason for it, I guess it has something to do with me not owning a Wii U :P. But, in all seriousness, I apologize for my misbehavior, and coming off as quite rash.
It's fine, upon reflection I was a bit full-on myself. I can certainly understand why a non-Wii U owner wouldn't realise the importance of the GamePad's display, sadly Nintendo is doing an awful job marketing the damn thing. Everyone I've personally shown it to has been impressed with what it can actually do, it's a shame Nintendo can't advertise it properly, it has incredible potential. But I can certainly understand not owning one until Mid 2014 (when it at least has a decent sized library of quality games), which is really quite sad.