Connection repeatedly cutting out

gamefreak613

Connection repeatedly cutting out

Post by gamefreak613 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi all/Loopy,

Just got my capture card a few days ago. (Thanks again by the way!) I took the back off to replace the battery (being very, very gentle...) then put it back together and used it for an hour or so without issue. Today though, it started cutting out and reconnecting every few seconds. I tried swapping out the cable and it had the same issue. Based on some (very, very light) movement of the cable near the board, it seemed to pretty consistently disconnect and reconnect when it was jostled even a small amount, so I'm wondering if I maybe need the board replaced.

I'm willing to try other troubleshooting steps as suggested of course. I know you recently sold some "leftover" stock which is what I had purchased from...if I need to send it in for repair, would it take a while for a turnaround?

My order number ended in 28618 if that helps.

Thanks so much!

loopy
Site Admin

Re: Connection repeatedly cutting out

Post by loopy » Wed May 19, 2021 2:42 pm

gamefreak613 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:32 pm
Based on some (very, very light) movement of the cable near the board, it seemed to pretty consistently disconnect and reconnect when it was jostled even a small amount, so I'm wondering if I maybe need the board replaced.

I'm willing to try other troubleshooting steps as suggested of course. I know you recently sold some "leftover" stock which is what I had purchased from...if I need to send it in for repair, would it take a while for a turnaround?
Hmm. Sounds like maybe a bad connector? I can look at it. Repairs won't take long, I'm not busy with other installs at the moment.

gamefreak613

Post by gamefreak613 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks so much! I'll put it in the mail today or tomorrow.

gamefreak613

Post by gamefreak613 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:59 pm

Looks like it arrived at your address today. Thanks again!

deadpoolbruh2

Post by deadpoolbruh2 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:42 pm

I received mine in the mail today and have the same problem

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:53 pm

Yeah, I've run into other boards with the same problem, it's not making a good connection. I don't know if it's these connectors, or the cables, maybe a combination of both. I've ended up using contact cleaner on all the rest of them.

Put a bit of isopropyl alcohol in a (unconnected) USB cable and reinsert it into the capture card a bunch of times. Then let it dry out. See if that helps.

KnuxMaster368

Post by KnuxMaster368 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:29 pm

I'm having a similar problem https://youtu.be/0j87BoLTcsE with my capture board where I cant get a stable video output from it.

Is the connector wearing out? Micro-B is known for doing that after 6 years. Perhaps it should change to type-C.
Also my sound recording has a background hum. I can alleviate it by raising the volume but then it causes the audio to sound deep-fried, tho that could be down to my sound recording device not being up to snuff (it's a DSP audio interface that likely uses USB1.1)

It was largely okay until after I replaced the damaged touchscreen in my DS a few months ago.
The video can be really unstable at times though in this video I rushed to make, it was on the better side (there's times where the video ripples and looks like it's about to break down). This pattern is not visible on the DS itself, only on the recording.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:58 pm

KnuxMaster368 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:29 pm
I'm having a similar problem https://youtu.be/0j87BoLTcsE with my capture board where I cant get a stable video output from it.

Is the connector wearing out? Micro-B is known for doing that after 6 years. Perhaps it should change to type-C.
Also my sound recording has a background hum. I can alleviate it by raising the volume but then it causes the audio to sound deep-fried, tho that could be down to my sound recording device not being up to snuff (it's a DSP audio interface that likely uses USB1.1)

It was largely okay until after I replaced the damaged touchscreen in my DS a few months ago.
The video can be really unstable at times though in this video I rushed to make, it was on the better side (there's times where the video ripples and looks like it's about to break down). This pattern is not visible on the DS itself, only on the recording.
I'm guessing this is on a mac? Using the cutecapture software?

For the sound, a ground loop isolator will help.

KnuxMaster368

Post by KnuxMaster368 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:11 pm

yes, cutecapture on linux