DS Turning off when cable inserted.

werster

DS Turning off when cable inserted.

Post by werster » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:15 am

I'm having an issue where my DS started turning off randomly. Having played around with it some more I noticed it does not happen when the cable is in, but as soon as the cable is inserted it tends to happen quite quickly.

Of note, this is not one of the new batch DS's, it's an older model. Example vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkRXpZJOKRA

Wondering if there's some direction here that I might be able to fix this myself? I've tried other cables and same thing happens, and the cable has no issue with other capture devices, so would have to say it's something on the DS end, but not sure what I should be looking at.

EDIT: Should've also mentioned, I've tried replacing the battery and the same result still persists.

loopy
Site Admin

Re: DS Turning off when cable inserted.

Post by loopy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:33 am

So it works fine if the cable was already in? Maybe it's something to do with movement / vibration caused by plugging it in? Does wiggling the cable around make it shut off?
Sometimes the battery (esp. aftermarket ones) can be barely making contact, and just bumping the DS around a bit causes it to shut off.

werster

Post by werster » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:02 pm

loopy wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:33 am
So it works fine if the cable was already in?
If I try to start the DS with the cable already in, it tends to either immediately shut off (before the screen even turns on), or after a few second. It works completely fine if there is no cable inserted at all. But as soon as a cable is plugged it, it switches off either instantly, or within a couple seconds. The first time it happened though was 2 hours into a run, but the issue has just persisted since then.
loopy wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:33 am
Sometimes the battery (esp. aftermarket ones) can be barely making contact, and just bumping the DS around a bit causes it to shut off.
As I mentioned, I tried swapping the battery around with other DS's I have and that didn't make a difference. I can try opening it up further and just clean/reseat things, but didn't want to do that frivolously without some kind of direction about what it's likely to be.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:29 am

Without looking at it, I don't really know. My guess is it's a connection problem somewhere. You can poke around inside, try disconnecting / reconnecting things... I'm not sure what else to suggest.

AngeloftheNight091

Post by AngeloftheNight091 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:37 am

If you check your Micro USB Port on the DS Capture, are the pins intact? If any of the pins are touching, it could short the device out, causing the issue you are encountering.

Having done numerous IT Support over the years, all it takes is one time of trying to insert it wrong to damage the plastics holding the pins of Micro usb in place.

Have you also tried another "new" micro usb cable? perhaps the shielding inside the cable is broken, causing wires to touch, shorting it out.