R1 issues on new DS capture board?

Aar

Re: R1 issues on new DS capture board?

Post by Aar » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:08 am

I do have another known working DS board I can swap out, but it's going to be a royal pain lol. At least it'll confirm whether the issue lies with the motherboard or capture board, so I'll give that a shot when I get the chance

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:15 am

I haven't paid attention to motherboard versions, but considering the number of installs I've done with no issue, I think it's unlikely that has anything to do with it.
I'll take a look at it if you want to send your DS in.

Aar

Post by Aar » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:43 pm

That sounds good to me! I'll ship it out when I'm available and email a tracking number or something. I'm willing to reimburse you for return shipping as well if need be.

The console itself has a shitty digitizer I've been meaning to replace but I haven't gotten around to it yet, but as far as I can tell everything else seems fine. I'll send the replacement digitizer with it if you're willing to install it but I'm more than capable of doing it myself once I get the console back.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:58 am

That's fine, you can send it too. They're easy to change out.

Aar

Post by Aar » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:23 pm

Sweet, thanks!

I just got a new capture board in the mail from you; I'll give it a shot once I get a chance shortly. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'll happily send in my console for you to investigate.

Aar

Post by Aar » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:34 pm

Just tested with the new board and am seeing the same issue unfortunately. I'll send the DS in to you with the extra board as well.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:45 am

It's the motherboard that's faulty. That is, R1 isn't being displayed even on the DS itself, with the capture stuff removed. I couldn't figure out where the problem is, maybe some internal short. Looking on an oscilloscope, I can see a signal is there, but much weaker than it ought to be.

Should I send it back as is? Or I have a bunch of spare boards, I can swap it out if you want.

Aar

Post by Aar » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:22 am

loopy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:45 am
It's the motherboard that's faulty. That is, R1 isn't being displayed even on the DS itself, with the capture stuff removed. I couldn't figure out where the problem is, maybe some internal short. Looking on an oscilloscope, I can see a signal is there, but much weaker than it ought to be.

Should I send it back as is? Or I have a bunch of spare boards, I can swap it out if you want.
Damn, that's a shame. I really wanted to try and preserve the board due to it's brightness settings lol, can't win them all. It'd be super awesome if you could swap that board out and send it back, thanks for all your work!

Aar

Post by Aar » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:51 am

Quick update to the thread: loopy determined that my DS's motherboard was indeed the issue. He swapped it out for a new one and everything is working perfectly.