Open-Sourcing the 3ds capture board

ChaoticPumpkin

Open-Sourcing the 3ds capture board

Post by ChaoticPumpkin » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:58 pm

A question for Loopy, I originally sent this as an email but I realized it would be more likely to be seen here.
--------
Hello Loopy,

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but I couldn't find any reply from you searching on the forum, so I thought I'd ask. I was wondering if you would open source the gerbers and/or schematics for the 3ds video capture board? There's very little information on the 3ds's video protocol, and since you are really the only one still making capture cards, it's hard for a lot of people to get their hands on them.

I do understand if you want to keep your designs to yourself, I imagine that you're probably making a good amount of money from installing these boards, and I can see why you wouldn't want to cut down on that, but any help would be appreciated, selling the pcb files or even just any documentation you have on the 3ds's video protocol would be awesome!

I hope you take this into consideration at some point,

-Thanks, Silas

loopy
Site Admin

Re: Open-Sourcing the 3ds capture board

Post by loopy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:03 pm

Well, I do make a living doing this stuff. Giving it away would be shooting myself in the foot. If/when I decide to stop, I'll open it up (like I did with the controller mod, when I stopped making those). I know it's hard to get your hands on new boards right now, but that should change soon.

I'm not too protective of the software, I've released some reference code before. Main reason I haven't done that with the main Windows app, is the build environment is ancient at this point, and getting the code up to "releasable" standards would be a hassle. It's long overdue for a refresh though ... whenever I get around to that, I'd consider putting it on github or something.