N3DS status / feedback

x2601

Re: N3DS status / feedback

Post by x2601 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:22 am

Tested the 3DS tonight for 3 hours after getting it back.

Still having the issue, but it seems to happen a little less often.

I'm going to try a USB C to USB C cable tomorrow and see if the results improve.

rodi

Post by rodi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:54 pm

Edit: it's probably just the sleep mode issue you've known about, probably didn't need to post

Hi Loopy,
After recording some footage for an hour or so, I left to take a break, leaving my 3ds in sleep mode.

When I came back and launched a NDS game, I found the video preview being glitchy like so here: https://youtu.be/CMArCq-Jycw

I tried some common troubleshooting things like exiting the game, rebooting the 3ds, unplugging the cable, closing the software, made sure I was running the latest software version, but it was still happening.

I noticed that when I set the software to record, the glitchiness stopped on the live video preview, and resumed when I disabled it.
It also stopped glitching for a bit one time I turned it on, but I'm having issues once again.

I have a New3dsXL that was modded in the most recent batch.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:21 pm

Odd. This _sounds_ like the same issue that was happening on the DS, but I don't think that's what it is.
https://3dscapture.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6325

See if using a USB3 cable makes any difference.
You can verify by opening the debug window (F12) then plug it in, it'll show the connection type (USB2/USB3).

x2601

Post by x2601 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:52 am

The USB C to C cable gave me the same issue plugging directly into my PC.

After using the debug console, I've realized all the USB cables I've tried (A to C, C to C) are USB 2.0 spec.

I've ordered a couple 3.1 A to C USB cables to test USB 3.x connectivity.

Loopy, did you use a USB 3.x cable when you tested my 3DS and do you have any extras available to order?

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:00 am

No, I didn't test it on a USB3 cable. I didn't see any issues with it at all, actually. I replaced the board and cables inside anyway, though.
Do these glitches usually come up right away? I didn't do any long term testing on it.

I don't have any extra USB3 cables I can send.

x2601

Post by x2601 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:14 am

loopy wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:00 am
No, I didn't test it on a USB3 cable. I didn't see any issues with it at all, actually. I replaced the board and cables inside anyway, though.
Do these glitches usually come up right away? I didn't do any long term testing on it.

I don't have any extra USB3 cables I can send.
The glitches tend to start out slowly, then they either get better or worse usually depending on whether I'm recording via the 3DSCapture app or not. I've noticed the glitch sometimes gets worse if I'm recording. Tonight it degraded to the point where the app itself froze, forcing me to kill it in Task Manager.

It also seems to act up when I'm using OBS Studio to record the 3DS Capture app output before settling down a bit and only glitching every 30 seconds to a minute.

The other thing is the glitching tends to start around the time I physically pick up the 3DS to start using it.

Thanks again for taking a look at it.

Edit: Looks like it was something on my end with my USB ports, possibly, or the new cable. I disconnected some old devices and tried a USB3 cable and the capture ran for 3 hours tonight flawlessly. So sorry, loopy, this was legit the first time I've had this kind of issue with this particular PC. Now I know. The capture card is awesome, thanks again for your help.