[New Nintendo 3DS XL] Loopy’s Capture Card vs. Optimize Capture Card Audio Question

DeadSkullzJr

[New Nintendo 3DS XL] Loopy’s Capture Card vs. Optimize Capture Card Audio Question

Post by DeadSkullzJr » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:42 am

Hello everyone, a few months ago I had received a New Nintendo 3DS XL with an Optimize capture card preinstalled from relatives as a gift. Managing to get my hands on one of these I noticed a weird issue that I cannot seem to fix, that being audio popping, crackling, etc. whenever I use the digital audio options within the capture software itself. Since I repair consoles and such as a hobby, I tend to do extensive testing with my hardware before I use it for serious matters. I asked around on the internet a little bit to see if others who may have one has ever dealt with this situation before, I've yet to get a worthwhile response, I got one response from a guy who has an Optimize capture card for the original Nintendo 3DS XL, he doesn't seem to have issues with his, but obviously due to hardware differences and the differences between the capture software for this model and the New Nintendo 3DS variant, it's not conclusive for this case. I have dispensed nearly every troubleshooting option available to me, from changing out the micro USB cable to completely reworking my entire computer setup just so nothing is interfering with the connection between the capture card hardware and the machine itself. I actually have a PCI express device coming to isolate the capture card hardware thinking maybe my USB bandwidth is the problem, I've done a lot of investigating regarding the matter, and it's pretty much my last hope here. I know there are folks out there who have an Optimize capture card for the New Nintendo 3DS XL, and I'm sure some of them have crossed my threads regarding the matter, why I never got responses is beyond me, even if nobody else was having issues with theirs, something would be better than being left hanging constantly wondering what's wrong. Audio is complicated to troubleshoot, it can be a hardware or software issue, and I seriously can't determine this one at all. Which brings me to my question, how does Loopy's capture card digital audio handling work with the New Nintendo 3DS capture card, is it reliable, are there crackles, pops, etc. when playing certain games? During my tests, Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition seems to be the most problematic where audio is concerned when using the digital audio settings of the Optimize capture software, there is some buzzing whenever you sit and listen to the title screen music of the game. I also tested with Metroid: Samus Returns, and for the most part the only thing I experience there is occasional popping, but no buzzing issues that I could hear.

If there is anyone else here who has an Optimize capture card for the New Nintendo 3DS XL, I would appreciate some help, testing especially so, and I would like some advice on whether or not I should consider upgrading to Loopy's solution eventually. I'm not going to instantly shelve the Optimize system I have considering my relatives spent a lot of money to gift this to me, they too are kind of worried about the state of the hardware, if it truly is the hardware that is.

Elysium

Re: [New Nintendo 3DS XL] Loopy’s Capture Card vs. Optimize Capture Card Audio Question

Post by Elysium » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:19 am

Maybe it's the bit rate/bandwidth? I used to have one where that was the issue. Try lowering it on sound settings or use a lower bandwidth option in Transfer Mode (pick RGB565 or YUV### I forget).

It doesn't affect the sound coming out of the 3DS itself, right?

loopy
Site Admin

Re: [New Nintendo 3DS XL] Loopy’s Capture Card vs. Optimize Capture Card Audio Question

Post by loopy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:49 am

Audio has always been a "beta" feature in the katsukity software, I think it's just a software artifact.

DeadSkullzJr

Post by DeadSkullzJr » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:14 am

Elysium wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:19 am
Maybe it's the bit rate/bandwidth? I used to have one where that was the issue. Try lowering it on sound settings or use a lower bandwidth option in Transfer Mode (pick RGB565 or YUV### I forget).

Tried this out and the results seem to be the same, though I feel like it's worse, but that could just be me over thinking and hearing more than what's actually there.

Nope, the system itself is absolutely healthy, audio comes out clean through the speakers and through the auxiliary jack. Obviously speakers can only dispense so much audio quality before things sort of distort due to the hardware limitations, but I hear no audio pops, crackles, and no dropouts occur.

I currently am having to rely on my line-in connection in the back of my machine to get by, which yes it works great this way, I'm just trying to find peace in my mind about this, problems tend to bug me and I end up wanting to fix them if at all possible.

DeadSkullzJr

Post by DeadSkullzJr » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:16 am

loopy wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:49 am
Audio has always been a "beta" feature in the katsukity software, I think it's just a software artifact.
Major bummer, hopefully others pipe in at least to confirm that it's not a hardware issue. If more than one person experiences the same problem with the exact same product, at least in this particular case, it would be a safe bet that it's definitely the software being dumb.