Jig for drilling USB-C hole

Eondar

Jig for drilling USB-C hole

Post by Eondar » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:24 pm

Is there an alignment jig for drilling the holes for the N3DSXL kit?

3D-printing something like that would be rather easy and enable users to have a tidy exterior as shown in the assembly pictures.

thomasfan1945

Re: Jig for drilling USB-C hole

Post by thomasfan1945 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:48 pm

In all honesty, I don't think it's possible. You could remake the back housing with a C-Port hole if you wanted to do it that way.

Eondar

Post by Eondar » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:14 am

That is unfortunate but understandable.

I think a jig for the USB-C hole should be fairly doable. But something for pocketing out the bottom seems difficult.
Guess I have to order a replacement bottom now.

TiresiasBazaar

Post by TiresiasBazaar » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:47 am

I saw a couple of these USB-C jigs on Ebay. Have you checked those out by chance? I never tried them, myself.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:36 am

I'm not sure what you're envisioning here ... I don't think I could come up with something that everyone could use, it'd require a specific hardware setup (or need a bunch of tweaking on your end, which kind of defeats the purpose?)

My current cutting rig, in case you're curious.

Hmm, I guess I see what you mean. Like some kind of top cap with a hole you can manually drill out? Yeah I guess that could work. I don't have a 3D printer I can dink around with though.
Me awesome MS-Paint skillz

Interested_guy

Post by Interested_guy » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:25 am

I made something similar for USB-C mods, I'm sure it could be extended out to where the capture card has the USBC hole though I'd need someone to give me measurements to modify the file myself.

It requires clean up with a file afterwards but it's more consistent than eyeballing it.
Attachments
lp_3.jpg
Friction jig
lp_3.jpg (143.64 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
lp_6.jpg
cut hole
lp_6.jpg (227.8 KiB) Viewed 4132 times

ZungYouse56

Post by ZungYouse56 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:09 am

Interested_guy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:25 am
I made something similar for USB-C mods, I'm sure it could be extended out to where the capture card has the USBC hole though I'd need someone to give me measurements to modify the file myself.

It requires clean up with a file afterwards but it's more consistent than eyeballing it.
what specific measurements do you need? i have a loopy 3ds capture card

Interested_guy

Post by Interested_guy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:22 am

ZungYouse56 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:09 am
Interested_guy wrote:

A- from the farthest edge of the usbc port to the edge of the n3dsxl motherboard while installed
B- from the closest edge of the usbc port to the edge of the n3dsxl motherboard while installed
C- from the edge of the screw hole to the edge of the mod motherboard, doesn't need to be installed
D,E,F- length width height of the USBC port (for width around the main body not the fat back). Ideal just the model # of the usbc port and a datasheet honestly.

Inner and outer edge can be done by slipping the caliper under the mod board and again just the body ignore the fat back. With these measurements I think I can come up with a a bunch of 'prototypes' and someone who wants to test them to find the best fit can give me postage and I'll mail 'em to them.

Also I'm assuming the shield of the USBC port touches the underlying 3dsxl motherboard while installed, so I'm assuming it's the tallest object on the mod motherboard and also comes in contact with the 3dsxl motherboard when installed.
Attachments
MEASUREMENT1.jpg
MEASUREMENT1.jpg (173.21 KiB) Viewed 4059 times

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:43 pm

Here's one I made. Printing with USB-C holes face down is recommended.

It slides between the IR sensor cover and the charge port walls. The corner that's cut out goes to the IR side. Like Interested_guy said, you will still have to use some files to smooth it out to get it just right. Use a dremel to get a hole started and most of the plastic out, and then work your way to the edges with some files. I use a flat one for the top and bottom, and then a small rounded one for the sides. You have to have already carved the inside of the shell to seat the capture board. If you haven't, the guide won't fit.

I'll post pictures later.

Made it specifically for the old version but it still works with the new version of the capture boards. The USB-C port is shifted towards the center of the N3DS XL on newer boards, but it's a very small adjustment. Just remove the guide once you're 95% of the way done, and use a small rounded file to shave a bit more towards the center of the shell.
Attachments
N3DS XL CC cutout guide.zip
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

ZungYouse56

Post by ZungYouse56 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:15 am

Interested_guy wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:22 am
ZungYouse56 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:09 am
Interested_guy wrote:

A- from the farthest edge of the usbc port to the edge of the n3dsxl motherboard while installed
B- from the closest edge of the usbc port to the edge of the n3dsxl motherboard while installed
C- from the edge of the screw hole to the edge of the mod motherboard, doesn't need to be installed
D,E,F- length width height of the USBC port (for width around the main body not the fat back). Ideal just the model # of the usbc port and a datasheet honestly.

Inner and outer edge can be done by slipping the caliper under the mod board and again just the body ignore the fat back. With these measurements I think I can come up with a a bunch of 'prototypes' and someone who wants to test them to find the best fit can give me postage and I'll mail 'em to them.

Also I'm assuming the shield of the USBC port touches the underlying 3dsxl motherboard while installed, so I'm assuming it's the tallest object on the mod motherboard and also comes in contact with the 3dsxl motherboard when installed.
ok i hope these measurements are ok

A=1.70in
B=1.36in
C=0.50in

D,E,F=
L-0.34in
W-0.12in
H-0.37in

i will be willing to help you test them out i do have a 3d printer at home