DS screens mixed after capture card install; capture card not detected via USB

BluMagma

DS screens mixed after capture card install; capture card not detected via USB

Post by BluMagma » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:44 am

I recently did a capture card install for the Classic DS, but after re-assembly, the top screen has some of the bottom screen visible, and vice-versa. It looks similar to these images: https://imgur.com/a/ziGNcbV

I tried doing a reinstall and reconnected all the cables, but I get the same result, even if I leave one screen disconnected.

Additionally, the capture card itself says "Not connected" in the capture software. I've tried two different PCs with the provided cable, with and without the ribbon connected.

Are either of these problems generally soldering issues, or something else that people have seen before? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

loopy
Site Admin

Re: DS screens mixed after capture card install; capture card not detected via USB

Post by loopy » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:37 pm

BluMagma wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:44 am
Are either of these problems generally soldering issues, or something else that people have seen before? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Probably soldering. Or a cable not connected right.
There's another possibility -- does the bottom screen still have a foam pad stuck on its back? Replacement screens generally don't come with it and are just bare metal. If it's been replaced and some kind of insulation wasn't put in place, the motherboard can be getting shorted against it.. especially with added solder sticking out. I've seen it before...
BluMagma wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:44 am
Additionally, the capture card itself says "Not connected" in the capture software. I've tried two different PCs with the provided cable, with and without the ribbon connected.
Sounds like maybe the board's fried? Does your PC make a 'USB connect' sound when you plug it in? The software should recognize it even if it's not connected to the DS.

BluMagma

Re: DS screens mixed after capture card install; capture card not detected via USB

Post by BluMagma » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:44 am

There's another possibility -- does the bottom screen still have a foam pad stuck on its back? Replacement screens generally don't come with it and are just bare metal. If it's been replaced and some kind of insulation wasn't put in place, the motherboard can be getting shorted against it.. especially with added solder sticking out. I've seen it before...
This could be it. I still have the foam pad on there, but it's possible that there's some solder sticking into it. I'll try to get rid of any pointy spots.
Sounds like maybe the board's fried? Does your PC make a 'USB connect' sound when you plug it in? The software should recognize it even if it's not connected to the DS.
I figured this out! The USB cable that came with the card must've been bad. It gives power to other devices but didn't work with this card for some reason. I tried my own cable and it says "Connected" in the software.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.