N3DSXL freezing upon starting/using capture

peekmp

N3DSXL freezing upon starting/using capture

Post by peekmp » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:44 am

Hi, just received my N3DSXL unit back from Loopy with the capture card installed, I'm running into an issue where my 3DS just fully freezes during capture. Sometimes it happens when I first plug it in, and other times it just happens when it's been capturing for a few minutes.

The capture works briefly, but then my whole system freezes and all buttons and everything is unresponsive. This happens both on the 3DS Home Menu as well as in a game. I've updated drivers, have the newest edition of the 3DS Capture software, and have tested with different USB-C cables, but no luck.

The system locks up entirely, and I have to hold down the power button for like 20-30 seconds to do a full reset of the system, so it seems like something might be faulty here?

Wondering if Loopy has found this issue with other units and what I should do about it.
Last edited by peekmp on Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loopy
Site Admin

Re: N3DSXL freezing upon starting/using capture

Post by loopy » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:03 pm

No, I haven't heard of of that happening before. Definitely not normal. So it only happens once it's plugged in? The 3DS works fine otherwise?
I don't know what to suggest except send it back so I can take a look at it.

peekmp

Re: N3DSXL freezing upon starting/using capture

Post by peekmp » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:20 pm

Yeah, the console just froze up while it was plugged in. I had the capture software opened as well as OBS. Only plugged in via UBS-C to USB-C.

I'm going to keep trying to replicate it or see if it happens again, because so far I haven't had any other system lock-ups outside of the first two (one in home menu that was fixed by unplugging it, and the second within a game where my system locked up and became unresponsive so I had to hard power cycle), but I have had the capture software freeze a few times during testing.