3DS Capture Display is "Flickering"

K.A.R. Gaming

3DS Capture Display is "Flickering"

Post by K.A.R. Gaming » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:47 am

Just recently got the Capture installed last week. It did a weird glitch thing on the screen, but I restarted everything and it "fixed" itself. It was normal for the following week, but now it's acting up again. I've used a different cord, restarted the computer and 3DS, and nothing seems to be working. Anyone have solutions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxNhx280iU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxIMdfEXLpw

It only happens on the display, and not the 3DS itself.

Akeyla

Re: 3DS Capture Display is "Flickering"

Post by Akeyla » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 pm

There's been a handful of reports of this happening. It's very annoying.

K.A.R. Gaming

Post by K.A.R. Gaming » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:08 am

Is there any way to fix it/ Or should I send it back in and have it replaced?

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 am

I'll replace it if you want, but I'm not sure that'll fix the problem. Usually it's a USB throughput issue, not a problem with the board.
Is it always glitching out or just while you're recording? Or only with certain games? Test it on another computer if you can. Test it without a webcam / USB microphone plugged in. Try switching to a different USB port.

K.A.R. Gaming

Post by K.A.R. Gaming » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 pm

Got it, thanks. I'll run some tests with certain things plugged in. Come to think of it, I feel like it does tend to flicker when I'm about to record with OBS. But there have also been times where it has ran perfectly without glitching. As far as I know, the game that's running doesn't typically affect this glitch. I'll play around with it and see if I get results!

Akeyla

Post by Akeyla » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

I have noticed that the capture card works fine as is. The flickering starts occuring when I'm in a voice call within Discord. Discord opened by itself? It's fine. I'm in a call inside Discord? The capture card will start flickering at random. I know I'm not alone when I say that even though there's people who use it to record video game footage, there's also also others who use it as a way to share their gameplay on a call, collaboration or stream with others. I've tried flipping on and off many options in Discord's voice+call settings to see if any can stop the nonstop flickering while inside a Discord call but nothing seems to be working. I hope that helps with a future software update.

JoshTriangles3

Post by JoshTriangles3 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:37 pm

I'm also experiencing very serious flickering on the capture. 3ds itself works fine.

I just got mine delivered today and it immediately started doing this after getting it hooked up.
I've tried multiple USB cables and multiple ports.

I know Loopy mentioned a USB passthrough issue.
How would that get fixed?

Thanks in advance

K.A.R. Gaming

Post by K.A.R. Gaming » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:49 pm

I've toyed around with it for a bit. Here's what I found.

My USB Camera/Mic interferes with the 3DS capture to some degree. I've noticed that If I plug in the 3DS and open the capture system as soon as my PC boots up, I don't have any problems with the flickering. However, if my computer has been on for a while and I've used OBS or something, then it usually starts flickering again. I tried unplugging my webcam, but it still was a bit finicky...using a different USB outlet didn't seem to affect it all that much.

I also tested the capture during a zoom meeting (my webcam was in use) and it did not flicker. I also livestreamed with it the other day for about an hour (w webcam + mic) and it worked fine.

I can't fully conclude the root of this problem yet, but these are just things I have observed over the past week or two.

JoshTriangles3

Post by JoshTriangles3 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:50 pm

Ok so I just tested the 3ds on my roommates PC and it worked flawlessly.
The only real difference between her PC and mine is she has almost no USB ports being used.

I'm going to do some testing tonight to see if unplugging some of my many usbs helps lol

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:57 pm

I'll just cut-n-paste my last response.
loopy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 am
Is it always glitching out or just while you're recording?
Or only with certain games?
Test it on another computer if you can.
Test it without a webcam / USB microphone plugged in.
Try switching to a different USB port.
If you're using a Mac with virtualization software, that's probably not going to work well.
The software isn't particularly resource intensive, it's mostly affected by hardware configuration (usb controllers / bus topology), which unfortunately is hard to control for. I don't know if it's certain drivers that suck, or what, but even new computers can have trouble while old PCs work fine.
Some PCs have more than one USB controller (USB3 ports on one, and USB2 on the other for example) and changing where things are plugged in may make a difference.
Another solution people have gone with is to get a USB expansion card ... some are pretty cheap but I don't know any brands to recommend.