C Stick and ZR ZL Buttons not working

JoshTriangles3

C Stick and ZR ZL Buttons not working

Post by JoshTriangles3 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:17 pm

I noticed the other day while streaming that my 3DS doesn't seem to register that it has the additional shoulder buttons or the c Stick .
However there's a possibility that this somehow happened after I homebrewed the 3ds after getting it back from being modded.

I'm mostly trying to troubleshoot what could have caused this. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Thanks in advance!

JoshTriangles3

Re: C Stick and ZR ZL Buttons not working

Post by JoshTriangles3 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:12 am

Alright after some testing it seems like this is likely a hardware issue.
I've tested all the inputs with software and the c stick and zr zl buttons aren't registering.
I tested all inputs using the 3dsident GUI app.
On top of that my other n3dsxl that has cfw doesn't seem to have this issue.

Is it possible they came loose during the capture card install? I'm totally down to pay extra to have Loopy look at it if needed. I'd rather not open the 3ds myself and make it worse lol

Thanks again!

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:06 pm

ZL / ZR go through the same connector as L / R so I don't think it's come loose. Maybe the buttons are bad. Do you know if they were working before you sent it in?

I'll take a look at it if you want to send it back.

JoshTriangles3

Post by JoshTriangles3 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:57 pm

As far as I know they were working before I sent them in. Same with the c stick.
And I'd be down to send it back for repairs. I'm also more than willing to pay whatever is needed to repair the zr zl and stick.

I really appreciate it! :)

JoshTriangles3

Post by JoshTriangles3 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:34 am

So my plan is to still likely ship out my 3ds back to Loopy for repairs but out of curiosity I had a question.
The videos I found that showed replacing the c stick module and the shoulder buttons looked relatively simple and easy to do.
However I assume with the capture card it's not as simple as taking the back plate off?

JoshTriangles3

Post by JoshTriangles3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:07 am

Alright I did some extensive testing and it seems like the buttons and c stick might be broken on a motherboard level.
I completely uninstalled CFW to double check that it wasn't a software issue. However the buttons were still unresponsive.

From what I've read online there's a chance that the part of the motherboard that deals with the New3ds buttons (the ZL ZR and C Stick) could be fried somehow.

I think I might just cut my loses and save up to send my other new3dsxl out for a capture card install since I know that one has fully working buttons.

Loopy or anyone else reading, if you've ever heard of something like this happening I'd super super appreciate any ideas.