Audio is very unstable, even with noise filter

solidplasma

Audio is very unstable, even with noise filter

Post by solidplasma » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:41 am

Hey, so I just got my modded 3DS back from loopy today, and he did a great job; I've managed to get everything to work pretty well with little trouble, save for the audio. First I tried plugging the noise filter into the 3DS, and connecting it to my laptop's line in/mic port with a ~3 foot long MM stereo cable. That occasionally gave half decent audio when I held the 3ds and cables just right. Then, as strange as it sounds, I tried turning the setup around, with the noise filter plugged directly into the computer's line in/mic, and the MM cable plugged from the noise filter into the 3ds. I know this is the opposite direction the audio is supposed to go through the filter, but it worked slightly better. Trouble now is, I have to hold the 3DS completely still and in just the right position to avoid distortion in the audio, and even then, there's a mild background hum. Is this normal? Should I try and find a different kind of MM cable?

PKTriad

Re: Audio is very unstable, even with noise filter

Post by PKTriad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:19 am

I had similar problems at first. Not sure what kind of microphone is built into your computer, so the settings on mine may or may not be the same.

Basically, I "unchecked" the 3 options in the gray box, above "Sound Effect Properties." If your microphone options has these same settings, see if this does anything for you. You can get here by going to Recording Devices > Microphone.

solidplasma

Post by solidplasma » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:36 am

Thanks for your reply. The only one I had checked was "DC offset cancellation" and I unchecked it, but it didn't make much difference. I don't think I have the same sound card as you, seeing as I didn't see all the same effects listed. You're not using the noise filter plugged directly into the computer are you? Right now I have it plugged into the 3DS, and I'm still getting distortions. I'm gonna try it backwards again. Incidentally, is there a preferred size of audio plug, like, in diameter? I'm worried this one might be a bit large.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:38 am

Does it sound any different when the USB cable is unplugged? Or the filter is removed?

solidplasma

Post by solidplasma » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:54 am

It didn't seem to make any difference when I unplugged the USB. The filter, however, when it hangs out of the 3DS, tends to lose either left or right audio when it is moved even slightly, but this may just be because the MM audio cable I'm using is directly attached to it. It seems I can sometimes get it to come through clearly, but when any part of the audio setup is jostled even slightly, either one or both of the stereo tracks gets replaced by static. I'm starting to think it may be my audio cable. Can anyone recommend one that works for them? Or possibly a stereo to USB cable, if that exists?

PKTriad

Post by PKTriad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:07 am

You can usually buy a cheap audio cable from a Radio Shack for like $4. I think shorter is better.

Also, I think the correct size is 3.5mm.

solidplasma

Post by solidplasma » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:16 am

That you very much. I'll try that as soon as they open.

Edit: Picked up a much better audio cable, and it seems to work fine. I'm all set. Thanks guys.