Open Source Development

DeeKayHT

Open Source Development

Post by DeeKayHT » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:58 am

With Smooch working on a Mac OS version of the software thanks to sample code provided by loopy, I figured it would be a good idea to try and make this a community development effort so loopy can focus on other things.

Smooch and loopy seem alright with making their code available, so we should figure out where we should host it (Google Code, Github, private server, etc), what source-control system to use (Git, SVN, Mercurial), and who should have repository control (which should ideally be shared). I'm a bit more personal to using Git on Github, but I'm fine with working with something else. Thoughts?

MKGirlism

Re: Open Source Development

Post by MKGirlism » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 am

In the Mac Thread, I have suggested them to put their Apps on my Drive Server.
Then Loopy doesn't need to edit the HTML on his page all the time, saves Bandwidth, and they can Update the thing quickly via Explorer or Finder.
I have 2 TB of Bandwidth every month, so I don't see a reason to care about its usage.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Well, there are two different things we're talking about here. Smooch's OSX app and the original Windows app. Smooch wrote the OSX version himself, so it's up to him what to do with it. I haven't decided yet if I want to open up the Windows app. If I do, it would go on Github. I already keep it in a local git repo for myself.
DeeKayHT wrote:... so we should figure out where we should host it
I'm not sure who "we" is yet. Who actually thinks they would put time into it and has things they want to work on? I don't want to spend time setting this up if it's just a passing interest, or you hope someone else might do something, or you're only curious to browse the code...

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

No, the Drive is meant for the executables, not the Code.
Like, one place to host all Apps and Drivers on, without you requiring to change the site all the time.
Just one Download Link, always the same Link, and yet the content of it changes on your commands.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm

I ... I'm not sure where you're going with this.

DeeKayHT made this thread to talk about open source development. I already have somewhere to host the software, managing that has never been a problem for me.

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:33 pm

I've just set it up anyway, so you can check if you like it or not:
http://drive.cw-games.org/srv/public.ph ... d1e538239b

If you want it, I can set up an Account for you and Smooch, so you can edit the Folders to your wishes.
Also, in order to use this via Explorer or Finder, you must have the (free) ownCloud Client:
https://owncloud.com/products/desktop-clients

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:47 am

Seriously, what the hell? Show a little more respect.

DeeKayHT

Post by DeeKayHT » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:25 am

I figured if the code was on GitHub, people who are interested in making changes could fork the repository and make requests to merge their code in with yours. I could be talking out of my ass, but I don't think maintaining it after open-sourcing it would be too much of a hassle. I don't want to pressure you to open source it if you don't want to.

I will admit I am very curious about the code, but I'm also interested in adding some simple features to the capture program (output to PNGs, name output files) and possibly start work on a Linux version. I only have the DS capture card, so I'm not sure how different the software is compared to the 3DS card.

MKGirlism, the repository can hold the binaries. There's really no need for a separate place to store the executables.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:53 am

DeeKayHT wrote:I figured if the code was on GitHub, people who are interested in making changes could fork the repository and make requests to merge their code in with yours. I could be talking out of my ass, but I don't think maintaining it after open-sourcing it would be too much of a hassle. I don't want to pressure you to open source it if you don't want to.
No, I don't think maintaining it would be much trouble, once it's set up. Before making it public I'd want to clean some things up and document it better (I don't mean commenting code, but a writeup on how things work internally, design decisions, what needs to be worked on, etc.) If nobody else is going to put in any real work then it's a waste of my time.

Ehhh, I suppose all developers are a little sensitive about showing off their work... I can, of course, just throw up what I have as-is and let you deal with it.
DeeKayHT wrote:I will admit I am very curious about the code, but I'm also interested in adding some simple features to the capture program (output to PNGs, name output files) and possibly start work on a Linux version. I only have the DS capture card, so I'm not sure how different the software is compared to the 3DS card.
PNG output is already there.
The DS and 3DS versions are virtually identical (a couple of #defines, I really should merge them sometime...)

DeeKayHT

Post by DeeKayHT » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:25 am

Ah, I should've been a bit specific. I meant outputting the video as a PNG image sequence, just as an option aside from always outputting to a video.
Ehhh, I suppose all developers are a little sensitive about showing off their work... I can, of course, just throw up what I have as-is and let you deal with it.
Everyone's their own worst critic. :) To me, it's always interesting to see others' code. I don't judge on how cleanly or well the code is written, after all I've made a lot of ugly code myself.