How to record game audio and commentary at the same time?

ShaKage

Re: How to record game audio and commentary at the same time

Post by ShaKage » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:06 pm

I just cant seem to get better audio out of this :/
Tried lowering the line-in volume, lowering the "listen", lowering the "stereo-mix", and lowering the audio volume on the 3DS itself.. still not getting any different result. The game audio is being way too loud and I am still getting static/background noise.. and the microphone commentary volume is being recorded too quiet compared to game audio.
Forget the commentary, I cant seem to get decent quality game audio itself lol.

MakiManPR

Post by MakiManPR » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:19 pm

ShaKage wrote:I just cant seem to get better audio out of this :/
Tried lowering the line-in volume, lowering the "listen", lowering the "stereo-mix", and lowering the audio volume on the 3DS itself.. still not getting any different result. The game audio is being way too loud and I am still getting static/background noise.. and the microphone commentary volume is being recorded too quiet compared to game audio.

Go to Recording Devices and Right Click on Line-In and then on Properties. Now go to the Levels Tab and lower it.

Be sure that "Listen to this Device" option is unchecked.

ShaKage

Post by ShaKage » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 am

MakiManPR wrote:
ShaKage wrote:I just cant seem to get better audio out of this :/

Go to Recording Devices and Right Click on Line-In and then on Properties. Now go to the Levels Tab and lower it.

Be sure that "Listen to this Device" option is unchecked.
I did that.
In fact I went all the way to 0 and still get full volume lol.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Changing the recording level on Line In actually won't do anything in your case. Stereo Mix is sort of a virtual recording device, whatever you hear through your speakers is what's recorded. (So disable your IM notifications, browse-click-sound effects, etc... all that crap gets recorded too. Sorry, pet peeve of mine :P) There are several places to control the volume. This was easy in XP. Vista and later really confused things. If you're using Stereo Mix, all of these things affect the recorded volume in their own way:

And if your sound card provides its own control panel, it may present all of the above in its own totally different, inconsistent way :?

ShaKage

Post by ShaKage » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for the informative post loopy.
Not making any difference. I have tried to adjust the volume of literally everything from my external sound card and the built-in realtek one. of course I didnt use both sound cards at the same time :) Had one deactivated when using the other and restarted the PC when doing that.
Still, not making any difference.
My pc build is almost complete, just waiting for the CPU lol. So I guess I will try it on the new desktop on windows 8 and see how that works :).
thanks again

ShaKage

Post by ShaKage » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Completed my pc build and tried on my new pc :)
Everything works PERFECT :D
Thanks for the help loopy.
With all the consoles and wires here room is a mess lol, 1 audio cable less would still make a great difference :P hoping for USB audio soon.