Open Source Development

akoimeexx

Re: Open Source Development

Post by akoimeexx » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:12 am

loopy wrote:
DeeKayHT wrote:I figured if the code was on GitHub, people who are interested in making changes could fork the repository and make requests to merge their code in with yours. I could be talking out of my ass, but I don't think maintaining it after open-sourcing it would be too much of a hassle. I don't want to pressure you to open source it if you don't want to.
No, I don't think maintaining it would be much trouble, once it's set up. Before making it public I'd want to clean some things up and document it better (I don't mean commenting code, but a writeup on how things work internally, design decisions, what needs to be worked on, etc.) If nobody else is going to put in any real work then it's a waste of my time.

Ehhh, I suppose all developers are a little sensitive about showing off their work... I can, of course, just throw up what I have as-is and let you deal with it.
DeeKayHT wrote:I will admit I am very curious about the code, but I'm also interested in adding some simple features to the capture program (output to PNGs, name output files) and possibly start work on a Linux version. I only have the DS capture card, so I'm not sure how different the software is compared to the 3DS card.
PNG output is already there.
The DS and 3DS versions are virtually identical (a couple of #defines, I really should merge them sometime...)
I've been looking for a capture device for the 3DS and I have to agree with DeeKayHT; some open source base to launch from would be great. I know I'd be excited to work on a Linux version in conjunction with other developers.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:25 am

akoimeexx wrote:I've been looking for a capture device for the 3DS and I have to agree with DeeKayHT; some open source base to launch from would be great. I know I'd be excited to work on a Linux version in conjunction with other developers.
There's some sample code here. http://3dscapture.com/tmp/3dstest.tar.gz

Windstone

Post by Windstone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:36 am

Any chance there's some sample code for Windows out there? I used google to search the site, forums. etc. and couldn't find any.

Being a software developer myself well understand the docs and clean up you'd want to before making the current software open source. And why you wouldn't bother if nobody else is going to put effort into it. Still I hope you make the effort one day.

Crazy as it may sounds I'm looking to capture screens in an effort to read text off the 3DS screen and such, making some turn based games (like Pokemon) accessible to my blind fiancé. I'd rather tap into the existing software so I can view the game live and pretty on the computer screen and such. Even a DLL API for capturing single frames from the your live-on-the-screen software would be great.

That said, the most basics of basics, like the linux sample, is all I'd really need to get by.

Thanks,

Jeff

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Here's some simple Windows code to get you started. http://3dscapture.com/3dstest_src.zip

Windstone

Post by Windstone » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Thank you very much!

Jeff

Windstone

Post by Windstone » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Back in 2013/2014 links to the Linux and Windows sample
code for the capture card was posted here.

I got the Windows code working but was always baffled by the
fact that the "real" 3DS software had "audio capture over USB"
(added in 13 March 2014 according to the change log).

I don't see any new USB audio device being added to the system
so I assume it's part of the magic WinUSB data stream from the
capture card. Anybody got any details on how to access that?
I'm currently recording video without audio which removes a
LOT of context and playback cues. I could capture headphone
jack to analog input but since the it's riiiiiiight there... You know?

I've sent loopy a few private messages over the years but never
got a response (prolly has message notitication turned off).
Hoping he'll see this post at least.

Thanks,

Jeff

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:47 pm

Windstone wrote:I don't see any new USB audio device being added to the system
so I assume it's part of the magic WinUSB data stream from the
capture card. Anybody got any details on how to access that?
Audio is appended to the end of each frame (16bit stereo). Increase the buffer / frame capture size, anything received past the end of a frame is audio. It's an unusual sample rate though (about 32.7kHz) so you have to do some sample rate conversion on playback.

Windstone

Post by Windstone » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:04 am

Thanks for that info.

montejeu

Post by montejeu » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:38 pm

loopy wrote:
Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:43 pm
Here's some simple Windows code to get you started. http://3dscapture.com/3dstest_src.zip
Is this essentially the same thing as the newest binary? Good enough as reference code to make my own version? Is there a a ds reference code as well?

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:51 pm

It should be usable as reference code, enough to show you how to read frame data (that was the point). It's not related to the newest binary at all though.
Here is something for DS - http://3dscapture.com/ds/ds_capture_src.tar.gz