N3DS progress..

loopy
Site Admin

Re: N3DS progress..

Post by loopy » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:27 am

WardogAce wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:40 am
How much development would it take to do what you did for the N3DSXL and apply it to the N3DS? Those other features you suggest do sound awesome for future developments; I didn't realize these consoles could handle all that! Makes me glad I still play my N3DS
The development part is done. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make it fit. There isn't quite enough room to put a connector in the same place the XL uses. Going back to micro USB makes it a little easier but I'd prefer to avoid that. I'm tempted to have it replace the original charging port, that looks like the cleanest solution.

SciGuy

Post by SciGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:34 pm

loopy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:04 am
- HDMI out would be pretty cool. I've designed a board for N3DSXL (exact same form factor as the current board, just with micro HDMI instead of USB). That should get here next week, I'm excited to play around with it.
Since you're asking for opinions, I completely support dedicating the majority of your time with HDMI out to be honest. This is something that has a lot of appeal and is much more versatile for those just trying to play on a bigger screen like myself. Hell, you can still use it to capture even. You just need a capture card, which most people who are in the scene would have one anyway. A decent external capture card with pass-through is very affordable. I would totally send my 3DS back again and pay more to have the capture card replaced with an HDMI out board. That's my two-sense anyway...

EDIT: Just realized that an HDMI signal for a dual-screen device would have to be standardized to a specific format (scaling, screen size, single/double). Everyone's going to have different needs (maybe one person wants to see only the top screen, but another wants to see both on their TV). Suggestion for this (although it may be impractical, I have no idea the amount of work it may take to implement) is to make it customizable via a physical switch, or by connecting the DS to a computer and allowing the output to be customize via a computer program. Out of the box, the default output could be whatever is the more popular option/one that makes sense, but allow the consumer to change it if they want.

Fenixero

Post by Fenixero » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:21 pm

loopy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:11 am
HDMI over USB-C seems doable but I'll work on basic HDMI first. I think maybe the worst part of it is everyone has different opinions on how it should look (What kind of scaling? One screen? Both screens? Side by side, top/bottom? Border, no border?) Too many options.
SciGuy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:34 pm
loopy wrote:
- HDMI out would be pretty cool. I've designed a board for N3DSXL (exact same form factor as the current board, just with micro HDMI instead of USB). That should get here next week, I'm excited to play around with it.
Since you're asking for opinions, I completely support dedicating the majority of your time with HDMI out to be honest. This is something that has a lot of appeal and is much more versatile for those just trying to play on a bigger screen like myself. Hell, you can still use it to capture even. You just need a capture card, which most people who are in the scene would have one anyway. A decent external capture card with pass-through is very affordable. I would totally send my 3DS back again and pay more to have the capture card replaced with an HDMI out board. That's my two-sense anyway...

EDIT: Just realized that an HDMI signal for a dual-screen device would have to be standardized to a specific format (scaling, screen size, single/double). Everyone's going to have different needs (maybe one person wants to see only the top screen, but another wants to see both on their TV). Suggestion for this (although it may be impractical, I have no idea the amount of work it may take to implement) is to make it customizable via a physical switch, or by connecting the DS to a computer and allowing the output to be customize via a computer program. Out of the box, the default output could be whatever is the more popular option/one that makes sense, but allow the consumer to change it if they want.
The option of HDMI over USB C would solve both problems, since the HDMI output could be configured through USB C communication with a computer. And a USB C to HDMI converter is cheaper than an HDMI video capture

Strawberts

Post by Strawberts » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:18 pm

loopy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:11 am
HDMI over USB-C seems doable but I'll work on basic HDMI first.
Would the current hardware in the N3DSXL capture card design be compatible with HDMI over USB C? Or would something like that require a hardware revision? I think the best solution as stated before would be to have the settings be adjustable by plugging the card into a computer, and making the one USB C port run dual purpose

Dionicio3

Post by Dionicio3 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:52 pm

I know you're probably focusing on the 3DS for now, but I would love to eventually see a capture board for the DSi (and maybe Wii U gamepad lol)

WardogAce

Post by WardogAce » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:22 pm

loopy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:27 am
WardogAce wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:40 am
How much development would it take to do what you did for the N3DSXL and apply it to the N3DS? Those other features you suggest do sound awesome for future developments; I didn't realize these consoles could handle all that! Makes me glad I still play my N3DS
The development part is done. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make it fit. There isn't quite enough room to put a connector in the same place the XL uses. Going back to micro USB makes it a little easier but I'd prefer to avoid that. I'm tempted to have it replace the original charging port, that looks like the cleanest solution.
Do you see a future where you would offer your services for the N3DS as well as N3DSXL? I wouldn't miss using that charging port if that's a solution (I do like I can charge using the USB with your oDS design.) Your other possible projects do sound really cool; HDMI sounds like a real winner. Unfortunately gimmicks are a guilty pleasure of mine(from a 'see why not' perspective as long as it does not interfere with the baseline experience!) so points to 3D capture as well :lol:

Strawberts

Post by Strawberts » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:09 am

I definitely don't think I'd miss the charging port on the regular size New 3DS either, and would be okay with it being swapped for a USB C port as long as theres little to no gaps in the plastic and that it fits in there nicely. I also assume that the little contact pads next to the port would still be intact to allow charging on the official Nintendo Dock, because then you get the best of both worlds. USB C wired charging, and still compatible with the official dock.

pyrite_santiago

Post by pyrite_santiago » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:27 pm

hey loopy these are my thoughts

-a way to make it hdmi adapter would be great, i have an el gato capture card which would be able to run it, but im fine with the 3ds software rn.
-possibly a way to make a wireless controller mod? like have a bluetooth sync since that may mean less wires (reason i ask is because the 3ds isnt the best contoller wise, but it does have some great games i want to grind and farm on)
-i dont know if the hdmi adapter would raise the resolution on the pc, but it would be cool to see an upscaler

lololrofl

Post by lololrofl » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:25 am

loopy wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:43 pm
No. Any suggtions? Maybe I should make a poll...
Personally I'd love a board for the N3DS. I have a N3DS XL too but it's the Samus Returns Limited Edition and I don't want to make any permanent modifications to it unless I have to. As you said, people would vote for the console they have, so it's hard to gauge interest. N3DS is lower on the adoption rate ladder for all the different 3DS SKUs so I would understand if it would be a waste of money to invest in creating a capture board for it.
As for software features, it would be nice to be able to capture 3D footage but I'm not sure how much it would be utilized. It would make the board more "feature complete" If you manage to integrate a micro HDMI port, would there be any conflicts with outputting a 3D signal through it?

Quick question: Orders are still open on your site for N3DSXL boards. Are these pre-orders for the next batch?

SuperBeefJerkey

Post by SuperBeefJerkey » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:50 pm

loopy wrote:
I realize asking which model you want supported is just another way of saying "which 3DS do you own?" Makes more sense to go by the numbers, whatever was the most produced / most popular. I don't know if those numbers are available ... my hunch is that would be the old 3DS XL?

Maybe a more interesting question is what else do you wish I would spend time on. Add features? Software improvements? Something else?
- I've been thinking about making a DirectShow filter, so other software like OBS can use it as a video source (like a webcam) instead of using screen capture.
- Would be nice to finally add audio to the DS board.
- Maybe add 3D capture, it feels incomplete without it. But does anyone care?
For the next board, my personal interest would be the regular 2DS, because if I ever get a secondary console, that would be it, since they're cheaper. But I think more people would be interested in the old 3DS XL, with it being such a common model (it's what I had before, but I got the New model recently for various reasons).

But before that, I think it would be better to perfect the software first, so people can make best use of these new, highly-anticipated N3DSXL boards. Your DirectShow option sounds like a good idea, I'd like to see that as a feature.
HDMI out would be fantastic in some cases, I just hope this could be accomplished through a firmware update and an adapter, so we wouldn't have to change our capture cards. And I saw what you said about the different screen options, so maybe these could be adjusted from a PC via USB, if that isn't too complex.
I don't really have anything to say about the audio on the DS board, since I don't use that board, but I know some people would like that.
3D capture for 3DS? Yes please, even if it's just another separate window. True, it wouldn't be used much, but it would feel more complete.
And of course, there's the audio bug...
SuperBeefJerkey, BeefJerkey, SBJ. I'm all of those.